Friday, February 12, 2010

Mom's Crib Notes


Ever wish you could somehow just flash forward and give your children all the information in life they'll ever need to know? I know it's not possible, but I wish it was sometimes.

What prompted this latest desire? My son will have a real date this weekend. I'm talking dinner and a movie, flowers - all that. I'm wondering if it's too late for a crash refresher course in chivalry. Should I spend these last few hours before the big event reminding him about holding doors and letting her order first?

I've watched my son eat meals for 16 years now and it often ain't pretty. Just a few minutes ago, he grabbed a piece of pizza from the counter, shoved a paper towel underneath it and munched on it while he proceeded to tell me about his day. I know I taught him how to use silverware and napkins, but will he use them when he's sitting across the table from a young lady? I can only hope so...

It's really cute, actually. But still, I wish I could use some Jedi mind trick to pour all the information about teenage girls he needs to know into his head or give him a cheat sheet or something...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure he will surprise you. He's packed with so much charm that even if he uses the wrong fork or forgets his napkin, the young lady won't notice a thing. I'm still waiting for that event in my boy's life - it's still hanging out in groups and being obnoxious. It's like they need a team of back up with them to talk to girls. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, LDK...I ended up chaperoning (at her mom's insistence) so I kinda got to witness his table etiquette first hand (I drew the line at sitting at the table with them; ended up across the restaurant, LOL). He was charming! He was engaging! He listened and even held the door open for her! I didn't eat because most of the time was spent with my mouth open :-)

    Whew! Glad to know some of the lessons imparted over the years got through!

    ReplyDelete

The Week Of...

Lots of religious days of importance are happening this week - including the start of Holy Week for Christians coinciding with Jewish Passo...